I AM NOT A RUNNER.
I never have been.
I didn't even go out for middle school track when all my friends did.
The idea of running in circles combined with knowing I was not fast just didn't appeal to me AT ALL.
SO, I took up golf, and that ended up being one of the best and life forming decisions I've ever made. I wouldn't have ended up at Wartburg if it weren't for golf, and I wouldn't have the amazing friends I do if I hadn't gone there.
BUT... somehow I've found myself enjoying running after taking it up 4 years ago. I didn't run races and didn't run with people. I simply ran after work to get in shape and shed off those extra college pounds. I soon became addicted because of the results I saw and the overall amazing feeling it gave me. I was and am a happier person when I'm regularly running.
3 years after I started running, I decided to try some races. I did my first real timed 5k in October of last year and my goal was to run it in under 30 minutes, and I finished in 28:30. It was such a great feeling of accomplishment and it was so fun to run the streets of DSM with people cheering and racing for a great cause. I was hooked.
Next I decided to sign up for the Shamrock Shuffle 8k in Chicago. I figured if I can do 3 miles in under 30 minutes, maybe I can do 5 miles in under 50 minutes. Sure enough, I trained hard and had a great race and finished in just under 48:30 I believe. What an accomplishment. I never ever thought I could run for 50 minutes without stopping. I never thought I'd say that running is a blast, but honestly that race was a blast! I had so much fun and felt amazing after! You can read the whole post about it here.
After these accomplishments, I decided my next goal would be a half marathon.
I had heard of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society Team In Training in the past and had been to some of their events. A co-worker of mine is on the board so I started doing freelance design posters for LLS to promote some of their events. After learning more about LLS and what they do, I decided I would take the plunge and join Team in Training. I signed up for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in October and have committed to raising $3,200 for LLS. Yes, raising $3,200 will be a difficult task, but that money is saving people's lives. I may never know who it helped or how it helped them, but I know that money is helping someone somewhere who is going through the hardest time of their life. I can't imagine how it feels to have cancer, but if I ever do, I'd hope there are people out there doing something like this to help find a cure. The money raised by LLS has helped the cancer community immensely. The statistics are overwhelming and there are too many to note, but trust me, LLS is making a difference and saving lives.
Committing to raising money is one part, but the training is a whole other. I didn't think it would be THIS hard. Running a half marathon is probably a cakewalk for a lot of runners out there... but not me. I'm slow and don't have the best endurance. I don't know what it is, some people are just naturally gifted at running... and some aren't. Admitting I'm not good at something is hard, but I know in the end it will make the accomplishment that much greater.
Another great thing about signing up for TNT is that they assign you a coach and give you a schedule of team runs every Saturday. Our team was lucky enough to have two coaches, one of which holds optional mid-week workouts. Last week was the first one I attended. There were 4 of us there and we practiced running hills and talked about strategy to conquering the hills. It was hard but not brutal and I wasn't the slowest.
This week was a whole different ball game. We met at a track and there were 4 of us. Our coach had us do a warm up and then had us run a timed 800. I quickly realized I was the slowest one there, which was a bummer, but I kept my head up and pushed through. He told us our 800 times. My best friend was by far the fastest. She is a freak of nature when it comes to running... Remember that post about how awesome she is? Well, I forgot to mention that she is FAST and can run forever. She's a rockstar. She finished somewhere around 3:30 for the 800.. do the math.. that's a 7 minute mile! My time was 4:20... which if I had been alone I would have been very please with. An 8:40 mile is much faster than my usual 10:00 mile pace. The other 2 were somewhere between us.
Here comes the tough part.
We were then informed that we are going to run 5 more 800's, and we must beat our time or hit it.
OH-EMMMM-GEEEE!
I was scared.
I'm competitive.
I hate losing.
I hate making people wait on me or feel sorry for me.
I kept thinking there is no way I can do that same pace over and over... I'm completely out of shape and to make matters worse, I'm the slowest one out here... and did I mention a college football team was practicing while we ran.. ugh!
The next 3 800's were hard... really hard... I kept having negative thoughts and was feeling sorry for myself. Somehow I managed to come in very close to 4:20 every time. Coming in last while everyone else was waiting for me was wearing on me though. I'm not used being the absolute worst at something... and to top it off coming in last meant less rest between 800's... everyone else would get to stand there for 30+ seconds waiting for me before we started our next one. I didn't get that extra break, so it only got harder.
Somewhere in the middle of the 5th 800 it dawned on me! I asked myself, "Why am I being such a baby! I keep having all of these negative thoughts. Why am I feeling sorry for myself!?! What's wrong with me?! I'm out here because there are people out there dying of cancer who would give anything to be able to run, but can't! I'm healthy and am doing this for other people, not for me! Who cares what my time is. Who cares if I'm last. I'm out here doing my best for the people who can't be." These thoughts gave me my second wind and made me realize that it is a blessing to be out here running. I made it through the workout alive and it was nowhere near as hard as a battle with cancer would be.
So, my thought for today is: No matter how hard the battle you are going through is, someone else probably has it worse. If my biggest problem in life is that I'm a slow runner, then I'd say I made out pretty well and have ZERO reason to complain. EVER.
If you want to join TNT or help the cause, please don't hesitate. There are a ton of race opportunities for all types of athletes - walking, running, biking and triathlons. Share this with your friends and family, you never know... one small click could end up saving lives down the line.
This workout is only a small fraction of what you would experience after joining. I've already met new friends and am truly so happy I signed up. An added bonus is getting in great shape and being able to spend a weekend with new friends in San Francisco! I have already become stronger mentally as well as physically. I hit my low point and can only go up from here! :)
Oh - and I AM A RUNNER! I may be slow... but I AM!
Here are some links if you are interested.
Team in Training Iowa Website
Leukemia Lymphoma Society Website
My Fundraising Page
Wanna help out this girl? She's also training for this race!
So is this girl :)



Great posts! Damn right you're a runner. That coach sounds awful though!
ReplyDelete