Thursday, July 26, 2012

Whit's Reception and RAGBRAI!!!!!

Hi all! Can you believe it's almost August!? Where did the summer go?!?!
This last week has been pretty busy for this gal.
My good friend Whit who got married in Colorado (you can read about it here if you miss that post) last month decided to also have a reception in North Liberty this weekend so everyone who couldn't make it to CO could still celebrate their marriage. :) I got to know everyone in the wedding party really well in Colorado, so I was realllllly excited to see them all again and celebrate John and Whit one more time!
The night was just as awesome as I had anticipated :) The wedding party started with a trolley ride around town for a few hours before the reception. We had a blast on the trolley, even though we ended up on a gravel road and were covered in dust, we made the most of it :)
Whit looked just as gorgeous in her dress the second time.
The reception was great :) I think Whit and everyone else had a blast!
I was a bit nervous to give a speech, but I didn't screw it up! Go ME!
After the amazing meal a large group of us danced the night away and had a blast running back and fourth from the photo booth to the dance floor lol. We literally took 100+ photos in that thing.
The night was a great success and I think Whit loved every minute of it :)
 
Trolley! Oh, and the koozies I had in my car leftover from the golf tournament were clutch!

One of the hundred photo booth pics!

no clue.. seeing yourself on camera is apparently hilarious :)

Wedding party on the trolley :)

bride and groom :)

Whit.. your ring.. seriously! I'm blinded!


RAGBRAI!!!!!!!!
After doing RAGBRAI last year I was hooked! I was so excited to take a few days off to ride and hang out with people I don't see often :) RAGBRAI is awesome for SOOOO many reasons!
• meeting new friends from all over the country
• hanging out with your team and other teams who you don't see any other time of the year
• you are disgusting and never have makeup on and NO ONE CARES!
• you can drink at 8 a.m. and people don't think you are an alcoholic
• you don't have hangovers because the second you get on the bike I swear you sweat it out
• you don't feel guilty about stuffing your face at every town because you immediately burn off the calories :)
• the food is amazing! It's like the state fair when you roll into every town!
• you feel so accomplished at the end of every day!
• there are a million other reasons it's awesome, but I'll stop there :)

So, this year was the hottest RAGBRAI ever, but that didn't stop us. I rode 2 days. My "High Maintenance" team takes it pretty easy and usually only does about 45 miles a day instead of 75 (thanks to our driver Jack who drives a truck and meets us in every town and whenever we are done we just load up and drive to the overnight town).
I heard the heat off the pavement combined with the 108 degree weather made the heat index right on the pavement about 130 degrees!!! That's hot! BUT... It was insanely windy! So, on the plus side, that kept you cool... but a head wind is no fun! We made it through, but the heat and wind deterred most people from drinking until we reached the overnight town.
The overnight town Tuesday was Webster City. Team High Maintenance DOESN'T stay in tents. Surprise surprise lol. We always have a house lined up to stay in ahead of time. We got to the house at about 9 and took showers, and that's I realized no one there was leaving, they all were clearly going straight to bed. Knowing this was my ONLY night to go out on RAGBRAI, I was NOT going to go to bed!
SO, I managed to make my way to team Love Shack who were staying at a high school friends of mines house :) Now, let me clarify, love shack is not like high maintenance... they are ALWAYS ready to party! A big group of us headed downtown and spent hours dancing and having a blast! I opted to not take photos for various reasons...
I soon realized there was no way for me to get back to the house I was supposed to stay in, and the house love shack was staying in was packed, and contained a loudly snoring man.... So, the few of us that rolled in around 2 a.m. decided our only option was to sleep outside. We stayed up a few more hours chatting and then found places to sleep... a few others and myself opted for the TOP of the bus... I have NEVER slept outside without a tent, but I fell fast asleep on top of that bus with just a towel for a blanket lol. It was quite the experience. The following day my ride was rough considering I was running on 2 hours of sleep, and it was 100 degrees and windy, yet again... but I managed to hydrate and make it another 45 miles :) Once we finished my dad picked us up and I basically went straight to bed...
So, the heat and wind were worth the amazing time I had Tuesday night, as well as the fun I had hanging out all day with my mom and sis :) There is no doubt that I'm still hooked on RAGBRAI :)
a few members of team high maintenance! :)

now we ALL have ragbrai bracelets made from bike spokes :)

Okay, I lied.. we did drink a little before the overnight town...

sis and I



This is where I woke up Wednesday morning... on top of a bus... at 6 a.m... kind of like an eye spy pic.. can you spot the person sleeping in the yard and the dog staring at me clearly confused as to what is going on at his house lol

Any readers out there do ragbrai? How was your experience?
Okay, that's all for today! Hope everyone has a great weekend and stays cool!




No comments:

Post a Comment